Tuesday 25 December 2018

SLJ

There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants, including flax (harakeke), and using them to create cloaks, baskets (kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an art form. It can take years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone weaving a fish (ika) out of On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax weaving. Does it interest you? Why or why not?

It seems like flax weaving could be a new skill for me. I have seen some videos and people making baskets, bags and flowers out of flax weaving. I have tried flax weaving but it was very difficult. My mother is a professional at flax weaving she has tried to teach me but it is really hard to nail flax weaving. It takes time to perfect flax weaving. It interest me because flax weaving is apart of my culture and it has past down to my family generation.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Tehillah, it's Billy here from the Summer Learning Journey team.

    It's so pleasing to see that you've been working really hard over your summer break. I bet your teachers will be super proud of your efforts when you return to school in February.

    Thank you for completing this activity where you had to share your thoughts on flax weaving and state whether or not you would like to give it a go. You are lucky to have an expert in your family who can teach you. It sounds like it requires a lot of time, patience, effort and resilience.

    I've always admired those huge, flax woven mats that families have at the park or at the beach. They always look professionally made, complete with a striking pattern. They must take hours and hours and hours to make!

    What different items has your mother made using flax weaving?

    Thanks, Billy.

    ReplyDelete